Thursday, May 26, 2011

Armchair BEA: Relationships

Today, BEA's organizers have asked participants to post about a relationship bloggers have formed with a particular publisher, author, blogger, or bookstore.


Before I started blogging, I worked at a wonderful independent children's bookstore nearby my home, Mrs. Nelson's Toys and Books in LaVerne, California.  One of my favorite parts of working at the bookstore was attending the various author events held at the store, and when I started my blog, I made a decision that I would try to reach out to authors to share my reviews with them and try to do occasional author interviews as well, particularly with debut authors. 


I wasn't sure if it was "appropriate" to e-mail authors, or even if they would be interested in hearing from new bloggers, but I discovered to my delight that nearly all of them responded to my e-mails with warm thank-you's and kind comments that made my day, particularly as a then un-employed library school student.  Many of these e-mails provided me with much-needed validation that I was engaging in something that was worthwhile--at least worthwhile for a larger audience than just myself!  My contact with authors through reviews and author interviews has definitely been one of the most rewarding parts of my blogging journey.  Here is one of my very favorite e-mails that I have received, from the very witty author Adele Griffin, whose YA novel Picture the Dead, illustrated by Lisa Brown, I reviewed on my blog:


"Dear d'Artagnan (if I may),
I saw your email this morning but did not have the focused time that I wanted to sit down, peruse your site, and read the review. Until now. What a pleasure. An insightful review, on such an elegant site as yours, means so much to Lisa and me. The extra care you took to give a balanced and thoughtful presentation of the book-- including one of Lisa's illustrations, and the link to out beloved site-- is much appreciated.

Also, your wallpaper matches our book wallpaper. Which I love.  I'll certainly post your link-- and I am very happy to know about fourthmusketeer."

2 comments:

Bex said...

I didn't know if it was appropriate to e-mail authors either, but I've now learned it's completely alright. We all want to connect with each other!

My Nurturing Relationships post can be found here!

Rebecca @ kindle fever

Essay Writing said...

Thanks for wonderful blog...